1.1 Why should we learn R?
R follows a type inference1 coding structure and provides a wide variety of statistical and graphical techniques, including;
- Linear and non-linear modelling
- Univariate & Multivariate Statistics
- Classical statistical tests
- Time-series analysis/ Econometrics
- Simulation and Modelling
- Datamining-classification, clustering etc.
- For computationally intensive tasks, C, C++, and Fortran code can be linked and called at run time.
- R is easily extensible through functions and extensions, and the R community is noted for its active contributions in terms of packages.
- Total 16024 packages and counting
Type inference refers to the automatic deduction of the type of an expression in a programming language.↩︎